Fresno Yacht Club History
September 1945, a group of sailing enthusiasts, with boats on the recently formed Lake Millerton, organized into a sailing club. On October of that same year, the Lake Millerton Sailing Association was born with 22 charter members. James Wyatt, Jr. was elected Commodore, Kenneth Craycroft as Vice Commodore, Butler Minor as Fleet Captain, and J. Brooke Lamkin as Secretary/Treasurer.
October, 1946, The Lake Millerton Sailing Association had grown to 65 members sailing 30 boats–Mercury’s, Fresno Class, Snipesm Suns, Fattie and other miscellaneous boats. Within two years larger boats were seen on the lake including the Luders 16, Inland Scows and International 110’s. Racing began with the Spring and Fall Series and the first Hizenrader Handicap Series.
1959 the Lake Millerton Sailing Association was dissolved and the Fresno Yacht Club (FYC) was formed with a membership of over 100. The largest class had become the Lido 14’s.
Today, the club is made up of primarily keel type boats, with the Victory 21, PHRF and San Juan 21 Fleets being the largest.
Our main sailing venues, Millerton Lake and Huntington Lake, are man-made lakes located about 20 minutes and 90 minutes N.E. of Fresno, CA, respectively. Racing takes place on Millerton year round, while racing at Huntington Lake in the High Sierras is restricted to summer only.
Fresno Yacht Club is always open to and seeking new members who would like to join us in the sport we so dearly love!